Diabetes – Reversal Or Just Relief ?
Your health is in your hands, not on medicines!
This blog is the second in a three-part series on Diabetic and Ayurveda. It is recommended that you read the first part of this series to understand the subject properly.As we discussed in our earlier article when our body is not able to take up sugar ( glucose) into its cells and use it for energy, it results in a build-up of extra sugar in our bloodstream – The condition we call Diabetes.
Sedentary lifestyle, unhealthy food habits, stress, improper sleeping habits, etc results in the accumulation of fats over cells, and slowly cells become insulin resistant.
In type 2 diabetes ( most commonly seen one) insulin production will be normal in our body but because of fat accumulation over cells, they can’t utilize the insulin and glucose properly. This leads to increased sugar levels in the blood.
To treat diabetes modern medicines usually suggest oral medications and insulin therapy. Both of these work in one of these ways to treat your diabetes:-
- Stimulate your pancreas to make and release more insulin
- Slows down the release of glucose from the liver ( extra glucose is stored in the liver)
- Blocks the breakdown of carbs in the stomach or intestines so that tissues better react to insulin
- Helps get rid of glucose from the body through increased urination
Are these treatments really helping to get rid of the root cause? Or just treating you symptomatically? We already have sufficient insulin production in our body but body cells can’t utilize it and again if you are giving extra work to the pancreas to produce more insulin, over a period it affects the efficiency of the organ and it can’t produce enough insulin, even if we push it with external medication. And slowly you have to depend on insulin injections.
Type 1 diabetes: about 10% of people who have diabetes are of type 1, where insulin-producing cells in the pancreas are destroyed. So they have to take insulin injections every day.
From the above discussion, we can conclude that type 2 diabetes ( while on allopathy medication) over a prolonged period ends up as type 1 diabetes. Moreover, the treatment emphasises keeping the blood sugar levels in check rather than addressing the cause of it.
Ayurveda addresses the root cause of the disease rather than the symptoms. Once the root causes are fixed, symptoms will disappear naturally. What is the Ayurvedic approach to diabetes? How does it treat diabetes? All these we will discuss in the next and last blog of this series.
- AHARA, The Dietary Regimens of AyurvedaIf you know which Doshas are contributing to your discomfort, you could easily decide which food you can have and what to avoid with this simple idea of taste. Ayurveda classifies the basic six different tastes based on their effects on Tridosha.
- Diabetes – Reversal Or Just Relief ?Sedentary lifestyle, unhealthy food habits, stress, improper sleeping habits, etc results in the accumulation of fats over cells, and slowly cells become insulin resistant.
- Are you Diabetic? Be free from Diabetes through AyurvedaThis blog is part of a three-part series on Diabetic and Ayurveda. Here we throw some light on understanding the disease, how modern treatment works, does to your body, and how, with Ayurveda, you could completely cure the disease.
- Kalyani, The beautiful woman.Women undergo lots of physical and mental changes in their life like puberty, menstrual cycle, pregnancy, menopause, and so on. In all these stages, she needs certain care, nourishment, and support. But in our new lifestyle, we ignore those aspects. It affects her health- the mother.
- Exercise Tips for Managing PCODWhen we say exercise, it is not only physical but mental too. Here, we will help you get started with a few exercise patterns that benefit people suffering from PCOD.
- These foods can help you take care of PCODIn Ayurveda, food has classification based on its quality to affect tridoshas (Kabha, Vata, and Pita) and other vital body functions. Most of the time, properly evaluating your health condition as per Ayurveda and adjusting your food based on that can bring the cure.
- 5 Healthy and Decadent Chocolate Recipes to make at Home that are Refined and Sugar freeHere are a few delicious chocolate recipes that are healthy and filled with wholesome ingredients, so you can indulge smarter when you have a sugar craving without loading up on refined sugar.
Insights into the root cause and remedy